Our purpose is to provide effective means to help members of Good Shepherd respond with Christian service to existing and emerging needs in the congregation, the community, and the world.
Sharing Our Abundance
- Omni of Prospect Heights Food Pantry
- Wheeling Township
- ELCA World Hunger Fund
- CROP Walk
- Holiday Food Baskets
- Christmas in July benefits families served by Wheeling Township.
- Christmas Gift Tree in December provides many gifts for youngsters at Trinidad’s Headstart Program.
Lutheran Social Services of Illinois (LSSI)
- Northwest Suburban Counseling Center located on Good Shepherd’s lower level serves our community and congregation with the expertise of certified counselors that can be reached at (847) 520-0140
- LSSI Sunday highlights the extensive outreach of this organization.
- Adult Education on Sunday mornings.
- Provides a “forum” for social issues.
- Provides opportunies for guests to address the congregation.
- Some adult forums focus on the issues concerning Social Ministry programs.
Medical Ministry International (MMI)
- Collects used eye glasses for reuse by those in need in other countries.
- Collects “over the counter” medicines for distribution to those in need in other countries.
P.A.D.S. (Public Action to Deliver Shelter)
- Provides shelter at night for those who are not served by conventional human services agencies.
- Volunteers serve meals and other basic needs at a local church.
- Serving the months of October through April.
Society for the Preservation of Human Dignity (PHD)
- Good Shepherd provides support with a Spring “Baby Shower” that enables PHD to be stocked with many baby layette items.
Knitters & Crocheters
- Members knit and crochet baby afghans for gifts to newly baptized children at Good Shepherd.
- Hats and scarves, as well as other knitted and cricheted items are donated to PHD, P.A.D.S., and other charitable organizations throughout the year.
- The excitement of missionary sponsorship connects us with missionaries around the world through correspondence, photographs, and news bulletins so we can experience and support their efforts to spread the “Good News” of Jesus.
- Missionaries are invited to our services to meet with our congregation.
- Volunteer drivers assist Wheeling Township with this community program.
- Program provides hot/cold meals to shut-ins in the area.
- Deliveries occur on weekdays one month a year.
- Many support services are provided to people in need.
- This outreach is focused on neighbors, the homeless of the Northwest Suburbs, and senior citizens.
Equal Exchange Coffee Program
- Good Shepherd participates in this program that enables the coffee farmers of many countries to remove the middleman and thus directs proceeds from the sales back to the farmer.
- Sales are on the first Sunday of each month in the church narthex.