About Us – Our Story
In 1956 two Lutheran pastors knocked on doors in Wheeling’s new neighborhoods asking if people were interested in starting a church. The answer was “yes”! The first worship services and Sunday school were held in a local grade school. Within a year – 1957 – the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd was organized with 99 charter adult members and 82 children. The growing congregation met in Wheeling High School until 1960 when our new church building was completed on Elmhurst Road, just south of Hintz Road.
Eleven years later a huge expansion of the building occurred – our current sanctuary or nave was constructed along with Sunday School rooms in lower level, a library/lounge, and office spaces. A Garden of the Resurrection for the scattering of ashes, was incorporated into our lovely courtyard in 2000. Improvements to the property and buildings continue.
Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd has a friendly welcoming spirit as we invite others into life with Christ, and willingly serve our neighbors with love. Our members generously donate gifts, food, and volunteer time for community projects and sponsor many outreach ministries. Neighbors may recall our Christian preschool, Children of the Shepherd, that served the surrounding communities for more 40 years.
Our story continues as we move into the future learning & growing in our Christian faith; welcoming and serving others.
Our faith community is filled with the Love of God,
the Grace of Jesus Christ, and Peace of the Holy Spirit.
You are invited to come & find comfort, forgiveness, and joy in learning about the
Good News of Jesus Christ!